Flatulence is the process of the passing of gas through the rectum. The gases which are passed are byproducts of the process of digestion. Flatulence is common and normal; however, for some individuals, it could be an embarrassing problem, particularly for those who pass gas more than the normal number of times a day. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways on how you can manage flatulence. Here are some of them.
1. There are plenty of foods which could make flatulence worse. Some of these foods include beans, cabbage, onions, carrots, asparagus, cauliflower, radishes, fried foods, eggplants, nuts, tuna, celery, cucumbers, apricots, broccoli and Brussels sprouts. If you notice that you are passing gas more often, you could check your diet if you are eating a lot of these foods. You could then try to eliminate them one by one to see which one is causing your flatulence.
2. There are also a number of beverages which could increase the occurrence of passing gas. If you want to control your flatulence, it would be good to avoid drinking sodas or carbonated beverages, beer and prune juice. Instead, you could increase your intake of water, as it has been studied to help in dealing with flatulence.
3. Flatulence can also be caused by swallowing too much air as you eat. To avoid this, make sure that you close your mouth when you are chewing and swallowing your food. You could also try eating slowly and making sure that you chew your food properly before swallowing.
4. There are also some medications which could cause flatulence as a side effect. If passing gas becomes a problem, you could go through your medications with your doctor to find out if any of them is causing it.
5. You could also try using some products in the market which prevent flatulence. Some of them come in liquid form and can be put on food that you would be eating. However, the effects of such products vary from one person to another.
6. Lastly, you could try being more active. There are plenty of studies that show that individuals who are exercising regularly have fewer embarrassing bouts with flatulence.